Sinusitis is an inflammation or swelling of the tissue lining the sinuses.
- Thick yellow-green nasal discharge
- Postnasal drip, often with a bad taste
- Swelling of the face
- Loss of the senses of smell and taste
- Blocked nose
- Feeling of pressure inside the face
- Facial pain, particularly when leaning forward
- Generally feeling unwell
Impaired Kapha (Water) accumulates in the sinuses, thus blocking the flow of Vata (Air). Impaired Pitta (Fire) causes swelling and irritation of the tissues of the sinuses.
Ayurveda for Sinusitis
In Ayurveda, this condition is referred to as Dushta Pratishyaya. The main dosha affected is Kapha. Panchakarma treatments such as Nasyam, Lepanam, Thalam, Vamanam, Shirodhara are commonly administered.